Saturday, April 23, 2005

in memory of Judy Richman

And, but, or, nor, for, so, yet. Coordinating conjunctions. When two independent clauses are joined by a coordinating conjunction, you need to put a comma before the coordinating conjunction. She made us recite them sing-song until they were ingrained in our minds. And but or nor for so yet. Andbutornorforsoyet? Andbutornorforsoyet. This was our last chance to learn grammar, she would tell us. And she was the woman for the job. It was our senior year of high school, and none of us really understood all of the comma rules. I was familiar with the vocabulary of it all, words like coordinating and subordinating and parenthetical from 7th grade English class in Catholic school, but I surely didn’t remember what it all meant. And my classmates looked completely overwhelmed when Ms. Richman matter-of-factly answered their comma questions by employing grammar language. Of course, she expected they would be overwhelmed, but she never passed up the opportunity to cackle at the lost expressions on people’s faces. Ms. Richman’s cackle was a signature trait, and never cold or mean as the word might imply. There isn’t another word I would use to describe it. It was playful and friendly and warm, but cackle it was.

I was sitting in a computer lab, reciting the coordinating conjunctions to myself, not really thinking about why I know them in that order, and trying to decide whether or not a comma was needed. (Ms. Richman used to recite that Oscar Wilde quote to us all the time: “I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.” She loved Oscar Wilde. We read The Importance of Being Earnest in her class that year, and she insisted on reading the role of Lady Bracknell. She had played the role in a community theater production a few years earlier, and that summer she let my friend and I watch the video tape of the production.) I allowed myself to be distracted by paper writing and rule for comma usage for a few minutes while I checked my email. There was an email from a friend from high school with a subject line that read: really sad news. I opened the email immediately, not really allowing myself to imagine what the sad news could be, and soon learned that Judy Richman was seriously ill and was not expected to make it through the night. I quickly signed off the computer, stuffed my books into my bag and left the computer lab.

Outside it was appropriately dark and misty, and I sat and sobbed. I tried to remember all of the books and plays and poetry we read that year. All of the lessons and questions and contradictions. The Awakening, King Lear, Six Degrees of Separation, Waiting for GodotHeart of Darkness and the Madwoman of Chaillot. “Warning: When I am an Old Woman, I Shall Wear Purple.” And she did. I thought about her grammar lessons, how she was in the newspaper for being committed to teaching grammar, how she even gave grammar lessons to the younger teachers in the department who hadn’t learned all the rules.

And but or nor for so yet. Words that connect two independent clauses. Andbutornorforsoyet. I thought about all of the expectation and promise held in those tiny words. That night the comma between Ms. Richman’s life and death. I closed my eyes and recited coordinating conjunctions like prayers.

2 comments:

M C Biegner said...

Elizabeth! this was so moving. It brought me to tears!

I love everything about this piece, the raw honest feelings. I love the Jenny Joseph line thrown in there as well. it gives me great insight into the character of Ms. Richmann too.

I love the line about the comma between her life and death. Life is like a comma, isn't it? a pause between where ever we are from and where we are headed.

My most heartfelt condolences. I had an english teacher in high school (yes, a billion years ago) who i had the grace and good fortune of visiting with a few years back to tell her what she meant to me.

And now, your ms. Richmann will live forever in your writing as well. I know she must be enormously gratified to know she has students like you.

i don't know if this is a true person or not (the name is almost Dickensian - Richmann? ) for surely she was very rich in her love of language and the love her students seemed to have for her.

and any catholic school teacher who loved oscar wilde...well... all i can say is, you were truly blessed.

This is a beautiful piece and it makes me feel like i lost someone special to me.

That's my-t-fine writing, i'd say.

xox
Michael

Kat Bridges said...

I stumbled upon this blog because I only learned yesterday that Ms. Richman had died--devastating news, even five years later. It didn't take me long to confirm from reading this post that we're mourning the same Judy Richman. She broke the mold, for sure.

I was in the final class (2000-2001) she taught before retiring. How terrible that she didn't get to enjoy it for long. How many lives she clearly touched over the years, even though I remember plenty of classmates balking at her, um, challenging style.

She loved us, loved us, loved us. I feel honored to have been her student.

I'm thinking about trying to get together a few friends from that class and visiting her grave to adorn it with some doll-heads-on-sticks à la Heart of Darkness. She would love that.

Anyway, this was a beautiful post. If by some chance you're reading these comments, I would love to hear from you and talk about Ms. Richman a little.

Kat