Friday, November 05, 2004

The Captain

The Captain And the Captain and passengers are dressed to the nines, Ignoring the bells and calls to pull in the lines. With a smile and a nod the Captain waves off the commotion, And we all sail onward through the turbulent ocean. We put on our gowns, tuxedoes and shoes, And stepped up the gangplank for this four year cruise. Over half went willingly and wanted to go, the rest ‘cause we had to and thus it is so. The crew plays cards and passes a bottle of rum. One eye on the helm and one eye on the fun. They don’t notice gas gauges on low and the compass that’s broken, Or the map room on fire, quietly smoking. We fill up our glasses from the champagne fountain. And iceburgs in the distance tower like mountains. We could see the dockworkers if we gave it a chance, But the band calls again to get out and dance. Then another game of shuffleboard needs to be played, And another trip taken to the all night buffet. So there’s no time to stop and feel the ocean, Rolling deep below with discontent motion. And the Captain and passengers are dressed to the nines, Ignoring the bells and calls to pull in the lines With a smile and a nod the Captain waves off the commotion And we all sail onward through the turbulent ocean. Truth my truth my truth don’t be silent now I’m listening finally just for you Before, I admit it I let you hide Knowing you were there quiet, ready, poised to speak And as long as we’re being honest Sometimes I even kicked you deep behind those shapes of fear And there I left you crumpled at the feet of jealosy, envy and my need to be liked that just seemed larger at the time And on my really bad days I boxed you in. The worst abuse really, to have floor, ceiling and walls of what-I-think-I-should-be keeping you from daylight. I don’t blame you for your silence I would be silent too after being treated like that So this is my apology for what it is worth I’m hoping you’ll remember this and rise up anyway my truth my truth By Gayle Huntress

No comments: